Knitwit's Rambles

My attempt to actually have a knitting blog, and to update it regularly. We'll see how well that works.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Well I made it through the two convocation ceremonies, and I have to admit I only brought out my knitting once. I'm sorry, but the Acting President's speech was long and boring as hell the first time, sitting through it the second time and not knitting would have been impossible. And at least I didn't fall asleep like some people in our party.

But yes, survived, though it wiped me out and I've been paying for it with sleep deprivation the rest of this week (though that's also because I didn't go to bed early enough some nights...).

Anyway, on the knitting front, well...there has been an astounding lack of progress. I think at this point my brain's saying "Yeah, remember why you don't knit to deadlines? Because it only makes you want to knit less? Oh, and now you have three more projects on the go. Congratulations!" Needless to say, this week I decided to cool it with the Dulaan knitting, considering I've only got about a week before it would have to go out and I think I'll just resolve to stock up on donatable knitted things for next year's Dulaan or Afghans for Afghans, or to donate closer to home. The local hospice has a crafting guild that meets on (I think) every Wednesday, making items to sell, and of course then there's the usual winter-woollie making for Sally Ann, Community Care, etc. It's the usual debate--people around the world need our help, but then there are many here at home too.

One thing I'd like to do in that kind of vein is start a teen knitting group as part of the programming at work. I've yet to discuss it with my boss, but I've been asked a couple times about if I would be interested in doing a knitting thing sometime, and I think I've go enough information to makea good pitch for an afterschool program. There's an afterschool chess club at one of the other branches that's been really popular, and we have a lot of teens coming into the library after school. Mostly to use the internet, but if I can give them maybe the opporunity to do something else...

The way it links into charity knitting is that I was thinking of offering a couple weeks of lessons or a couple weeks before the group starts. That way, people who don't know how to knit can learn before meeting, and of course learning techniques is always a good vehicle to create squares for blankets... Teens with some experience could come to the group meetings and could contribute squares as well, or work on their own projects. I think it would be interesting if we could find a place at the branch to display squares as they were completed, so that the teens--and everyone in the community--could see the blanket grow. When finished, we could maybe display it at the main library for a week or two, so that the kids could feel that they were showing off their accomplishment. I could also encourage them to knit mittens and hats and things.

But then like I said, I still need to approach my boss about this, see what she thinks, as well as whether we have a place in the schedule for it. Here's hoping, though.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 3:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love your idea for an afterschool program. And of course, if you want donations of needles and yarn, all you have to do is ask!

     
  • At 4:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
    »

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home